Upcoming dates and deadlines
- January 1, 2021: Deadline to submit substantive changes to be implemented July 1, 2021, through December 31, 2021, requiring notification or requiring approval by the Executive Council of the SACSCOC Board of Trustees.
Note: The SACSCOC office is closed and does not receive mail or deliveries.
- from noon Wednesday, December 2, 2020, to 8:30 a.m. Friday, December 11, 2020 (all staff at the Board of Trustees meeting then the Annual Meeting) and
- from noon Tuesday, December 22, 2020,until 8:30 a.m. Monday, January 4, 2021 (winter holiday).
Please plan accordingly
- March 15, 2021: Deadline to submit substantive changes requiring approval by the SACSCOC Board of Trustees in June 2021: governance change; institution, program, or location acquisition; level change; merger/consolidation; ownership, means of control, or legal status change; offering 50% or more of a direct assessment competency-based education program; review of substantive change policy and procedures; any substantive change requiring approval from institutions on sanction (except program or site closures).
Updates and announcements
- Monitor the Coronavirus and SACSCOC webpage for new information and developments.
- If the Coronavirus will delay implementation of an approved substantive change more than two years after approval, you may request an extension by submitting an Implementation Extension Request Due to COVID-19.
- Substantive change reviews are proceeding without delay. Existing deadlines apply.
- We understand the challenges of creating submissions while working remotely. Wet signatures and letterhead stationery aren’t necessary; simply ensure you clearly identify yourself and your institution. Submit as PDFs on a flash drive; paper isn’t necessary. Do not email submissions to the president or staff members. Monitor the status of submissions in the online institutional portal.
- If state coordinating agency and/or governing board approval is required but not available at the time of submission, note that in the prospectus. We’ll contact you by email at the time of review for documentation. Please DO NOT mail it or email it until requested.
Substantive change policy and related policies
- Substantive Change for SACSCOC Accredited Institutions [PDF]
- Advertising and Student Recruitment [PDF]
- Agreements Involving Joint and Dual Academic Awards [PDF]
- Direct Assessment Competency-based Educational Programs [PDF]
- Distance and Correspondence Education [PDF]
- Merger/Consolidation, Acquisition, Change of Ownership, and Change Of Governance, Control, Form, or Legal Status [PDF]
- Principles of Accreditation [PDF]
- Seeking Accreditation at a Higher or Lower Degree Level [PDF]
The webinar series is designed for liaisons and others with substantive change responsibilities. Webinars are one hour including interactive Q+A. Each webinar address a single topic that often presents challenges in managing an institution’s substantive change obligations. Registration is required for each webinar.
Webinars can be viewed in your browser. The Adobe Connect Meeting app is available but isn’t required; however, the app is recommended for mobile devices. Test your computer/device and network connections before joining a live or on-demand webinar.
- A new substantive change policy is expected in fall 2020. Webinar training on the new policy will be available in fall 2020 and in spring 20201. Sign-up to be notified by email when new webinar information is available on this webpage.
On-demand webinars (available until January 2021 only):
Note: On-demand webinars may take a while to start. Allow at least two minutes for the playback to begin. This is due to Adobe Connect’s recent software release and they are working on a solution. Thanks for your patience.
- Changes That Are NOT Substantive
- Changes to Current Programs
- Closing Programs and Off-campus Instructional Sites
- Creating an Effective Prospectus
- Dealing with Unreported Substantive Change
- Determining Significant Departure
- Dual Enrollment and Instructional Sites (audio difficulties in the “Scenarios” segment; a re-recorded supplement is available)
- Dual and Joint Academic Awards
- Faculty Rosters for Substantive Change
- How to Write a Prospectus
- Implementing New Programs – Part I
- Implementing New Programs – Part II
- Off-campus Instructional Sites
- Programs Through Partnerships
- What Not to Report
Documents and Templates
- Cover Sheet for Submission of Substantive Changes Requiring Approval [PDF]
- Developing Policy and Procedure Documents [PDF]
- Documentation Templates in Preparation for a Substantive Change Committee Visit to an Institution
- Faculty Roster Form [DOC] and Instruction [PDF]
- Seeking Accreditation at a Higher or Lower Degree Level
- The Accreditation Liaison [PDF]